"Don't take up a man's time talking about the smartness of you children; he wants to talk to you about the smartness of his children."

What parents need to know about the huge spike in ER visits for kids who swallow objects



It's a trend emergency room staff have noticed but parents haven't: The number of kids under six needing medical help for swallowing objects they shouldn't has gone up significantly in the last two decades. Luckily, there's a lot parents can do to keep their kids safe and bring this number back down.

A new study to be published in the journal Pediatrics found that since 1995 the number of children swallowing things like batteries, jewelry and toys has gone from 22,000 in 1995 to 43,000 in 2015.

But there's no need to panic. Most kids (90%) who swallow some random thing are sent home from the ER without needing to be hospitalized. It all depends on what they swallow.

Coins are the big one, representing a whopping 62% of such cases, but battery ingestion is on the rise. Batteries only represent about 7% of the things kids end up in the ER for swallowing, but in the last two decades, these incidents have increased by 150% (probably because we have a lot more button batteries around our homes than we did in 1995).

The problem with button batteries

These little tiny batteries are found in all kinds of stuff, like key fobs, remotes, digital thermometers, toys and even those singing...


Read full article on Motherly